Favorite Books
I was never a good reader when I was a kid, nor did I even like reading. To be honest, it wasn't when I was just a kid, even throughout high school and some of college did I dislike reading. It wasn't until I took Children's Literature from James Jacobs at BYU that I fell in love with reading. I can't remember if I took this class before or after my mission. I think it was before (is that right, Cheryl, you were there, right?). We had the best class ever. Brother Jacobs was amazing. The way he introduced books and taught us why the good books were good and the bad books were bad completely had me hooked. Before I took that class I'd pretty much only read assigned books. There were a few books I read on my own, but like I said, it wasn't my favorite thing. After that class my book collection grew (and is still growing), and my own personal reading list started to grow. I was studying to be an elementary school teacher, and that class made me realize how important reading is for everyone, but especially to a child. I am now a firm believer that if a child learns to love reading, he/she can be successful in anything he/she wants to.
When I was teaching school I had to opportunity to go to a workshop called "What's New in Children's Literature" by Peggy Sharp. It was amazing. I felt about it the way I felt about my Children's Literature class. In the workshop, Peggy Sharp went through some of the most popular and well-written books of that year (I think it was 2003). I had so much fun. It was then that I decided what I wanted to do with my life. I want to get paid to read children's literature. That's what Peggy Sharp basically does for a living. She was on the Newberry committee the year that "Bud, Not Buddy" won. How great would that be? When I eventually go back to get my Master's Degree, I'm going to get it in Children's Literature.
Ever since my change of heart, I've always loved to talk to people about favorite books. I like to hear what books are people's favorites and why. I have a few that I love, that I'd like to share with all of you. I can't say that all of these are on my top 10 list, because I don't really have a top 10 list. I'm still working on that. As you leave your comments, I'd like to request that you let me know what are your top 5 or top 10 all time favorite books.

The Education of Little Tree-by Forrest Carter
This book was recommended by my former Bishop's wife, Starla Phillips. I put this book in my top five for sure. I love this book. Not only is the story great, but there are so many things to learn from this book. They are what I like to call "life's lessons". Principles that if everyone followed, the world would be a better place. I know, sounds cheesy, but it's true. This book is full of ideas and lessons that could enhance anyone's life.

The Secret Garden-by Frances Hodgson Burnett
As you may have figured, I love children's literature. A majority of the books I read are young adult books. This is one of my favorites. I love that Mary finds a place of her very own. I love that, with help, she turns a dead old garden into a beautiful place where she feels at peace. I like the transformation that happens within herself. It's one of those books that you just can't help but loving. On a side note, it has also turned into one of my favorite musicals. The original score with Mandy Patinkin is spectacular. He's my absolute favorite. When he and Robert Westenberg sing "Lily's eyes", I get chills. I love it!

Weslandia-by Paul Fleischman
This is a picture book, but once again, it's a favorite. The story is about a boy who is basically an outcast. He's beat up by other kids because he's different. Even his parents want him to conform and be like all the other kids. During his summer break special flowers begin to grow in his backyard. He then uses the flowers to begin his own civilization. He makes his own clothes, comes up with his own number system, creates his own language, makes his own food, and even invents his own sport. I love this book because it's an example of what a little imagination and some hard work can do.

I haven't seen the movie. To tell you the truth, I don't really want to, because I enjoyed the book so much. I don't want the movie to ruin it. It is also a Newberry winner, and deserves this title. I've read this book a couple of times. The second time, Clark and I read it together when we were engaged. I bawled and bawled. I think it was then that Clark figured out how emotional I really am. And he still married me. What a great guy!

Harry Potter Series-by J.K. Rowling
I can't include young adult books and not include Harry Potter. I'll admit my love of Harry Potter diminished a bit when book five came out, but only a bit. Harry Potter still holds a special place in my heart. I used to be so obsessed with Harry Potter that when I was teaching I dedicated my entire reading nook to Harry Potter. Yes, I was also one of the many who went to almost all of the midnight movie showings of Harry Potter 1-5. I've read the first four books at least four times each. I've read books 5-6 at least twice, and I think I've only read book 7 once, although I'm sure I'll read it again someday. I have copies of the first four books in American English and British English, and have read them all. (I plan to buy 5-7 in British English while I'm here). I also have a copy of the first book in Portuguese and have read that as well. Obsessed might be an understatement, but I'm no different than many other thousands of people. Any book that can get kids who hate reading to sit down and read it over and over again is great by me. Harry Potter will always hold a special place in my heart.
Princess Academy-by Shannon Hale
What else can I say about this book other than it's just really good. The story is good and the characters are interesting. It makes for a nice, easy read. It's one of those books that takes your mind away and makes you not think of your real life. Now that I'm thinking about it. I liked this book, but I actually think I liked "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale even better.
The Hiding Place-by Corrie Ten Boom
It's been a long time since I read this book. This was one of the few books I read in high school that wasn't required. I loved it. This is a book that I believe everyone should read. Here's a brief description taken from Amazon.com. "The Hiding Place proves that the light of God's love can penetrate even the darkest recesses of despair, places like the Nazi extermination camp at Ravensbruck. After protecting Dutch Jews in a secret room in their home, Corrie ten Boom, her sister and father were discovered, arrested, and imprisoned. Only Corrie survived, but her faith in God remained strong-so strong that, after the war, she could forgive a former camp guard in a face-to-face meeting. More than just a spellbinding adventure, The Hiding Place is a life-changing story." Once again, it's a book to be learned from, I love those kinds of books.
Julius, The Baby of the World- by Keven Henkes
I wonder if Cheryl remembers hearing this book in our Children's Lit class as well as I do. I don't know that I've laughed so hard at a book. I think most of it was the way Brother Jacobs read it, and the people we had in the class. It's a funny book anyway, but there was one girl in our class who had a tendency to laugh at things more than most people. I believe her name was Cami. She had the funniest laugh. As Brother Jacobs read the book, she laughed, and then of course we all started to laugh. It got to the point that even Brother Jacobs was laughing. If I'm not mistaken, Brother Jacobs had to pause a few times before he could finish the book. That's how good this book is. For anyone that has older children that are jealous of a new baby brother or sister, this is the perfect book. Every home should have this book in their library.

When I was teaching school I had to opportunity to go to a workshop called "What's New in Children's Literature" by Peggy Sharp. It was amazing. I felt about it the way I felt about my Children's Literature class. In the workshop, Peggy Sharp went through some of the most popular and well-written books of that year (I think it was 2003). I had so much fun. It was then that I decided what I wanted to do with my life. I want to get paid to read children's literature. That's what Peggy Sharp basically does for a living. She was on the Newberry committee the year that "Bud, Not Buddy" won. How great would that be? When I eventually go back to get my Master's Degree, I'm going to get it in Children's Literature.
Ever since my change of heart, I've always loved to talk to people about favorite books. I like to hear what books are people's favorites and why. I have a few that I love, that I'd like to share with all of you. I can't say that all of these are on my top 10 list, because I don't really have a top 10 list. I'm still working on that. As you leave your comments, I'd like to request that you let me know what are your top 5 or top 10 all time favorite books.

The Education of Little Tree-by Forrest Carter
This book was recommended by my former Bishop's wife, Starla Phillips. I put this book in my top five for sure. I love this book. Not only is the story great, but there are so many things to learn from this book. They are what I like to call "life's lessons". Principles that if everyone followed, the world would be a better place. I know, sounds cheesy, but it's true. This book is full of ideas and lessons that could enhance anyone's life.

To Kill a Mockingbird-by Harper Lee
I love this book for the same reason I love Education of Little Tree. There are so many lessons to be learned from this book. It too is a great story, but when finished you don't think "that was a great story". You come away wanting to be a better person, which in my opinion makes it an excellent book. This book has been said to be a classic, and I understand why. It is also in my top five.
The Secret Garden-by Frances Hodgson BurnettAs you may have figured, I love children's literature. A majority of the books I read are young adult books. This is one of my favorites. I love that Mary finds a place of her very own. I love that, with help, she turns a dead old garden into a beautiful place where she feels at peace. I like the transformation that happens within herself. It's one of those books that you just can't help but loving. On a side note, it has also turned into one of my favorite musicals. The original score with Mandy Patinkin is spectacular. He's my absolute favorite. When he and Robert Westenberg sing "Lily's eyes", I get chills. I love it!

The Westing Game-by Ellen Raskin
I've read this book a couple of times, although it's been a while. Also a young adult book, it is a Newberry winner. This is a fun book. It's kind of like a mystery. The characters in the book have been clues and have to try to figure them out. The reader is also trying to figure them out at the same time. It was very well written. Definitely one of my favorite young adult books.
Weslandia-by Paul FleischmanThis is a picture book, but once again, it's a favorite. The story is about a boy who is basically an outcast. He's beat up by other kids because he's different. Even his parents want him to conform and be like all the other kids. During his summer break special flowers begin to grow in his backyard. He then uses the flowers to begin his own civilization. He makes his own clothes, comes up with his own number system, creates his own language, makes his own food, and even invents his own sport. I love this book because it's an example of what a little imagination and some hard work can do.

Life of Pi-by Yann Martel
This is kind of a strange book, recommended by my brother, Jake. I actually didn't read this book, I listened to it on tape. The first third of it seem to be random bits of information that don't necessarily have to do with the story. I don't remember all of it. I do remember pieces about a sloth. Interesting, but I think it would be harder to follow had I read it instead of listening to it. The rest of the book is the actually story, which is an interesting one. There's not a whole lot I can say about it without getting into a lot of detail, but it's basically about a boy and a tiger stuck on a boat together. Just like in the picture. It's different, but worth the read.
Bridge to Terabithia-by Katherine PatersonI haven't seen the movie. To tell you the truth, I don't really want to, because I enjoyed the book so much. I don't want the movie to ruin it. It is also a Newberry winner, and deserves this title. I've read this book a couple of times. The second time, Clark and I read it together when we were engaged. I bawled and bawled. I think it was then that Clark figured out how emotional I really am. And he still married me. What a great guy!

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler-by E.L. Konigsburg
Can you tell I love young adult books? This of course is also a Newberry winner. Also well deserved. It's about a young girl who decides to run away and live in the New York City Metropolitan Museum of Art. How cool is that? Her brother joins her and the things they discover in the museum make the story an unforgetable one.
Can you tell I love young adult books? This of course is also a Newberry winner. Also well deserved. It's about a young girl who decides to run away and live in the New York City Metropolitan Museum of Art. How cool is that? Her brother joins her and the things they discover in the museum make the story an unforgetable one.
Harry Potter Series-by J.K. RowlingI can't include young adult books and not include Harry Potter. I'll admit my love of Harry Potter diminished a bit when book five came out, but only a bit. Harry Potter still holds a special place in my heart. I used to be so obsessed with Harry Potter that when I was teaching I dedicated my entire reading nook to Harry Potter. Yes, I was also one of the many who went to almost all of the midnight movie showings of Harry Potter 1-5. I've read the first four books at least four times each. I've read books 5-6 at least twice, and I think I've only read book 7 once, although I'm sure I'll read it again someday. I have copies of the first four books in American English and British English, and have read them all. (I plan to buy 5-7 in British English while I'm here). I also have a copy of the first book in Portuguese and have read that as well. Obsessed might be an understatement, but I'm no different than many other thousands of people. Any book that can get kids who hate reading to sit down and read it over and over again is great by me. Harry Potter will always hold a special place in my heart.
Princess Academy-by Shannon HaleWhat else can I say about this book other than it's just really good. The story is good and the characters are interesting. It makes for a nice, easy read. It's one of those books that takes your mind away and makes you not think of your real life. Now that I'm thinking about it. I liked this book, but I actually think I liked "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale even better.
The Hiding Place-by Corrie Ten BoomIt's been a long time since I read this book. This was one of the few books I read in high school that wasn't required. I loved it. This is a book that I believe everyone should read. Here's a brief description taken from Amazon.com. "The Hiding Place proves that the light of God's love can penetrate even the darkest recesses of despair, places like the Nazi extermination camp at Ravensbruck. After protecting Dutch Jews in a secret room in their home, Corrie ten Boom, her sister and father were discovered, arrested, and imprisoned. Only Corrie survived, but her faith in God remained strong-so strong that, after the war, she could forgive a former camp guard in a face-to-face meeting. More than just a spellbinding adventure, The Hiding Place is a life-changing story." Once again, it's a book to be learned from, I love those kinds of books.
This is one of those books that is on almost every top 100 books of all time. It truly is a classic. This is another I haven't read, but listened to on tape. The version I listened to was a recording done by the BBC that was made for radio. It had music and sound effects and different voices and everything. It was great. I love this story. This was another movie that I waited in line to see all of the midnight showings. I'd say this one is in my top 10 for sure.
Julius, The Baby of the World- by Keven HenkesI wonder if Cheryl remembers hearing this book in our Children's Lit class as well as I do. I don't know that I've laughed so hard at a book. I think most of it was the way Brother Jacobs read it, and the people we had in the class. It's a funny book anyway, but there was one girl in our class who had a tendency to laugh at things more than most people. I believe her name was Cami. She had the funniest laugh. As Brother Jacobs read the book, she laughed, and then of course we all started to laugh. It got to the point that even Brother Jacobs was laughing. If I'm not mistaken, Brother Jacobs had to pause a few times before he could finish the book. That's how good this book is. For anyone that has older children that are jealous of a new baby brother or sister, this is the perfect book. Every home should have this book in their library.

The Book of Mormon-by various prophets
I couldn't have a list of my favorite books without including this book. Elder Ballard of the LDS Church, talking to a group of graduates at BYU-Hawaii, encouraged us to use the media, specifically blogs, to teach of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'd like all who read this post to know that this is a book that has changed my life. It is a book that can change anyone's life if read with an open heart and mind. It testifies of Jesus Christ, our atoning Savior. It was translated by Joseph Smith Jr., who was a prophet of God. I've read this book many times and I learn something new every time. I spent a year and a half in Brazil teaching from and about this book. I use this book to help raise my children in righteousness. "Abiding by it's principles will get you nearer to God than any other book." I know that this is true, for it has worked in my life. I'd encourage all who read this post to also read this book.
I couldn't have a list of my favorite books without including this book. Elder Ballard of the LDS Church, talking to a group of graduates at BYU-Hawaii, encouraged us to use the media, specifically blogs, to teach of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'd like all who read this post to know that this is a book that has changed my life. It is a book that can change anyone's life if read with an open heart and mind. It testifies of Jesus Christ, our atoning Savior. It was translated by Joseph Smith Jr., who was a prophet of God. I've read this book many times and I learn something new every time. I spent a year and a half in Brazil teaching from and about this book. I use this book to help raise my children in righteousness. "Abiding by it's principles will get you nearer to God than any other book." I know that this is true, for it has worked in my life. I'd encourage all who read this post to also read this book.
I hope you've all enjoyed my list of favorite books. Please let me know what you're favorite books are. I will add them to my list of books to read. And if you've read any of the books I have written about, I'd love to hear what your thoughts were about the books.


Comments
I loved this post! If you look back in my blog archive, my very first Tuesday Tell All was about our favorite children's books. I listed a few of yours. I loved Julius (who doesn't!), the Mixed Up Files and of course HARRY! Great picks. I have read every book you wrote about except for Westlandi and The Education of Little Tree. I'll have to pick them up.
As for great books I love, I have way too many listed on my sidebar. Some of my very favorites that we haven't mentioned would be... Pride and Predjudice, All the Lord of the Ring books, Into Thin Air, Shadow Divers, all the Sophie Kinsella books, the Molly Moon books, and I'll mention Harry again, because I too am a devout fan.
Thanks for making me think about so many great memories and books I love!
I enjoyed Harry Potter, but only read 1 and 2... one of these days I'll read the rest. :)
Childrens:
The Gunniwolf
Sandra Boynton books-all her books are so cute!
All the Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary
King Bidgood in the Bathtub
Adult
The Secret Life of Bees
Snowflower and the Secret Fan
The Da Vinci Code
The Tennis shoes among the Nephites Series
Harry Potter...of course
The no.1 Ladies Detective Agency
The Kite Runner
The Yearbook (LDS author...kinda cute, not a fave but easy read)
I wouldn't list these as all faves but I have bad recall memory and I at least remember these!
I loved how you included how your love of reading began. I think that when we were young, there was honestly a push for speed rather than comprehension. I could read faster than most of my classmates, but that's ALL I focused on. Teaching school and learning all about literacy helped me to realize how to help the students and myself comprehend better.
You've inspired me, I have tons of books on my bookshelf, many of them classics, that have never been opened. I'm going to choose one tomorrow. Thanks for the inspirtation!
I totally agree that if you can teach a child to read well, and to have a love for reading, they can be successful at anything. That is one thing we noticed the most about law school, all of the really smart people were reading ALL the time. Not just assigned reading, but lots of leisure as well.
And I love that you included included the BOM, especially in light of where the church is headed in regards to the main stream media.
Cheryl, I'm pretty sure...in fact, I know Joseph has read "Into Thin Air" another one we liked by Jon Kraukauer (sp) is "Into the Wild" it was very interesting, have you read it? I think it was just made in to a movie recently.
Whew! That was a long comment!