Stonehenge

A couple of weeks ago our family visited the famous Stonehenge. It's only about an hour away from our house. All I knew about Stonehenge was that they were a bunch of large stones. I've learned a little more since visiting the monument. Stonehenge consists of a circular set of stones, thought to have been used as a calendar. In addition to the actual stones, there were ditches dug all around the stones. Actually, the ditches were believed to be dug first. The ditches have since been filled and covered in grass. There are also big mounds (now covered in grass) that were used as burial sites.

It truly was amazing to see these large stones, some of which weighed around 40 tons. They were moved by hand and placed in their specific spots. Some stones are now missing and some have tipped over. Stonehenge is now legally protected and is owned by the crown.
The whole fam in front of the monument. It was freezing outside and practically rained the whole time. The boys loved it. They ran all around it and got very wet and muddy.

A view of Stonehenge from a distance.

This is what they believe Stonehenge looked like before some of it was destroyed.

About a mile away from Stonehenge is a little place called Woodhenge, note the sign above.

It's in a field where you can just run around and play. We stayed only long enough to take a couple of pictures. It was rainy and cold.

To find out more about Stonehenge and it's history click here.

To find out more about Woodhenge, click here.

Comments

Karen said…
Looks cool. Thanks for sharing and for including so many pictures! I love it.
Cheryl said…
LOVE IT! I want to come along on your family outings! I am glad you are taking the time to see some of the UK's finest places. What great memories you are making. Ones that will last a lifetime.

And I loved little Addi peeking out from the Baby Bjorn. Those things are the best!
Rachelle said…
Awesome! UK is someplace that I have always wanted to visit and I must admit that I am jealous that you guys have such an amazing oportunity to live for 6mo and visit these amazing places. Aryn went to England before we were married and got to see Stonehenge in the dark from a far distance (since it was closed!), but that doesn't exactly give the full effect. Thanks for all the pics of your brittish adventures!
Anonymous said…
You all look so cold in that picture. It makes me want to climb under my covers and go back to bed. And is Clark on the phone in the pic?
Amanda said…
Jess, it was freezing! And no, Clark is not on the phone. He was trying to take the audio tour. Anytime we do something like that only one of us does the audio while the other watches the kids. It's usually Clark that listens, because he remembers more and then fills me in.
Karen said…
I love your new Blog look with your family picture at Stonehenge.
Laura F said…
Love the new blog picture! And I was also going to comment on Clark on the phone. ;-) I think it's incredible that you're doing all these things while you're there - it all looks so fun, especially when you know it's a temporary situation! I have a lot of friends right now who are interviewing for internships and jobs with companies that have said they'd spend six months or so in London (financial firms) and I use you all the time as an example of how fun it can be. I'll have to have them call you when you get back!

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck E. Cheese & Hannah's Arm

Catch Up, Part 2

Family Pictures