Christmas Stockings
For most of the month of November I've been working on making Christmas stockings for my family. Over the years I've bought a $2 stocking here a $5 stocking there for each member of our family in hopes that one year I'd find the perfect stockings to decorate our house with at Christmas time. Well, I found them, thanks to Sharon's blog. She actually wrote about them last year, but being in England I didn't think about it. I found them again this year at this site. They are beautiful and exactly what I've been looking for. I was a little frustrated, however, at the cost of these gorgeous stockings and their holders. Here's a picture of my dream Christmas mantle from the website.


Aren't the stockings and holders perfect? That's what I thought, until I saw the cost. I wasn't about to spend $38 a piece on stockings and $58 a piece on holders. I've got five people in my family so far. That's about $500 when you add tax and shipping. Needless to say, I passed up buying my dream stockings.
I decided instead to attempt to make them. They look quite simple, right? Well, they actually are. I made up my own pattern, and with a few tips from my mom and my neighbor, I was able to make these stockings with the stocking holders.
A view of the whole mantle.
A close-up. You get the gist of them from the pictures, but they look even better in person. So if you're in the neighborhood, you must come see them.
I hate to sound prideful, but I think they turned out awesome. I'm quite pleased with myself. The best part about it, is that each stocking cost me about $8 and each stocking holder cost me about $8 as well. I saved about $400 by doing it myself. I may start taking orders. I've let my sister-in-law borrow my pattern, and my sister in Cali wants to as well. Maybe I should put a patent on my design.
I've worked hard this Christmas season. Now I just need to make a Christmas tree skirt to match.
Comments
WAY TO GO! They look just like the catalog. Wow. I would have never known you had made them and for such a great price too. You should be proud of yourself!
I too have been hunting for stockings, but since we have always gone home to Utah, I will once again put it off until some later year. I'll have to file your idea in my head though. It really is incredible and darling.
Good luck on the tree skirt. Sounds like you need some down time after you finish that off. Just pop some popcorn, grab a cozy blanket and watch Elf (or your favorite Christmas flick) once you are done and enjoy your beautiful Christmas decor. You deserve it!