Baby Food

I have loved every minute of having Addilyn in my life. Even the times she doesn't sleep through the night. I'm so happy to have a girl in our family. It's so different from the boys. I can't explain it, but those of you who have both a son and a daughter you'll know how I feel. I say all this because it's been hard for me to watch her grow up so quickly. She is completely rolling over now, which is so fast compared to my boys. She's officially outgrown her 0-3 month clothes (so sad!), and at her four month check up the doctor told me I could start her on rice cereal. That made me sad to think she's old enough for food. Especially since she is nursing so well (something that we really struggled to accomplish). I told the doctor that I wasn't going to start her on solids until she was six months old. (My sister's pediatrician recommends waiting until six months.) He said that was fine. As I was at Good Earth (a natural foods store), I found some baby Organic brown rice cereal. They also had Organic oatmeal cereal. I decided to buy them for when I decided to start her on cereal.

On April 25, just after her five month birthday, Addi woke up earlier than normal. I've been trying to keep her on the same schedule throughout the day so that she could go to bed at the same time each night. I needed to stretch out her feedings because of her early wake-up time, so I thought I'd just give her some rice cereal to hold her off a little longer. She did what all babies do when they first eat cereal, she spit most of it out. I was only going to give it to her that one time, but I thought, what the heck, I've started, I may as well continue. So we have. It's been over a week now and I'm feeling okay about it. I know she could start her oatmeal cereal now, but we're taking our time. I don't want to rush her into foods. I'm still not ready for her to be that old.

Here are the pics from Addilyn's discovery of food:


The before picure.

So it wasn't really love at first bite.

It wasn't really love at second bite either.


Okay, so not so bad after the first few bites.



Overall, I think the whole experience was a success, and it served it's purpose, when she eats rice cereal, she'll go a little bit longer between feedings.

Comments

Lindsey said…
It is so cute to see Addi as a girl version of your family. I can't wait to meet her soon.

i think it is all about watching your baby and starting when they are ready. I even started about 2 weeks early too.
Way to go Addi! We can't wait to see her!
Jami said…
Amanda, she is SO darling! Seriously, is she really already 4 months old??

And I just want you to know (in case you didn't see the comment on my blog) that I had totally forgotten about the things we used to write on our notebooks! Oh, we were hilarious. But how about the movie we made for English class with the barbies that we thought was so funny . . . at least until it didn't work when we actually got back to school. We were awesome.
from Dicy said…
Amanda - she is so cute, and looks just like you! I love those enormous eyes! What a sweetheart. You may be happy to know that I just bought my first box of rice cereal today, and Eleanor is six months on Saturday! I was starting to feel lazy, but I like your rationale. How do we keep our little girls little?
from Dicy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said…
I love it when they start eating food because it's much easier to keep them entertained while out and about or at church and they usually can go long without feedings.

Look what a doll she is! I just can't believe how fast time is going. It's shocking we are already in May.

We'll have to plan a get together this summer.

Oh and FYI- They run horses again in the fall at Keeneland and Chruchill if you want to go with me....

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck E. Cheese & Hannah's Arm

Catch Up, Part 2

Family Pictures