Points for Pundits

So today I gave a lesson in Young Women on our responsibility to teach. I thought using my blog would give me the perfect opportunity to teach myself and all who reads it.

Also, as I was in the shower today (yes, this is where I do a lot of my thinking), a question came to my mind that I thought would be appropriate to share with you all.

For these two reasons, I have come up with a game to play. It's called Points for Pundits (thank you Clark for coming up with the name).

Here's how it works: every so often (at least once a week) I will post a question that I have come up with. If you know the answer, comment as soon as you can. If you get the answer correct you get points. After three months, whoever has the most points will be treated to a lunch date with me (at our next encounter). We will then start the process all over. Here's how the points will be awarded:

15 pts.=the first person to comment with the correct answer
10 pts.=the second person to comment with the correct answer
5 pts.=everyone else who comments with the correct answer

I'll be keeping tabs on everyone's scores on my sidebar (if I can figure that out). Now I don't want any fighting over this. I love you all just the same. My only hope is to motivate you all to read more of my blog and comment on what you read, and, of course, to spread a little knowledge and encourage us all to become a little smarter.

So here we go. We're starting with two questions.

1. What does the word "pundit" mean?


2. What is the origin of the word "blog"?

Good luck to you all!

Oh, and I expect you all to find the answer on your own, no reading the comments first.

Comments

Jenni said…
Man, I'm first! I knew something good would come of staying home from church today. :-)

Pundit - an expert, authority, critic, commentator - most commonly in the public/media arena.

Blog - web + log - we = blog.

I think I see a correlation here.....
Lindsey said…
Pundit-an expert or opinion-leader who analyzes events in his or her area of expertise in the popular media

Blog- it is a whole lot easier to just put this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog#Blogging_begins

weblog-we =blog
The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger[7] on 17 December 1997. The short form, "blog," was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com in April or May of 1999.[8][9][10] This was quickly adopted as both a noun and verb ("to blog," meaning "to edit one's weblog or to post to one's weblog").

thanks wikipedia- very educational

fun game
Amanda said…
Good job Jenni and Lindsey! Don't worry everyone else, there are still points out there for the rest of you.
Angee said…
Does dido for the comments above count?
Jami said…
Oh man. I knew I should have checked your blog earlier.

Okay, here's mine:

Pundit -- A source of opinion; a critic (often found in the political area)

Blog -- Web log (minus the 'we') makes BLOG.
Cheryl said…
Pundit: A pundit is someone who offers mass-media opinion, analysis or commentary on a particular subject area (most typically political analysis, the social sciences or sport), on which they are presumed to be knowledgeable.

I didn't know the orgin of the word blog. That was interesting to learn.

And I think that is fun you taught that lesson this week. I taught that last week. Which age group do you teach? I am over the beehives. So fun to think that the church is the same wherever you travel!

Great idea! Can't wait for more questions.
Amanda said…
No Angee, you have to do the research on your own. If you did that, I'll give you points. Love ya!
Janae said…
Pundit--a learned man, or a person who gives opinions in an authoritative manner, usually through the mass media.

Blog--weblog--web+b!

This is fun, Amanda! Good way to help me learn something now that I've lost so many brain cells.
Karen said…
Pundit:a learned person, expert, or authority

Blog: A Portmanteau Word* Blending “Web Log” as “We Blog”

At least I get some points! :)
Anonymous said…
Ok, so I'm apparently really slow. I should have checked your blog a couple of days ago. This is going to be bad for me because you know how competitive I am! Plus I like to eat out with good company. Here are my answers:

Pundit: a learned man, expert, teacher or a person who gives opinions in an authoritative manner usually through the mass media

Blog: web + log = blog (minus the "we" of course)
Laura F said…
Wow, I'm already behind... serves me right for staying offline! :-) I loved the question, loved reading the answers, and will have to just take you out for lunch sometime when you get back. :-D
Lisa said…
Pundit...someone who expresses opinion, someone who is wise, like myself.

And sorry but since i'm at work and should be doing other things i'm cheating on the blog one. Blog comes from weblog!!!!
Amanda said…
Lisa, at least you're honest.
I love the idea of Points for Pundits! I learned something new today...

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck E. Cheese & Hannah's Arm

Catch Up, Part 2

Family Pictures