Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate
This past Saturday, we went with our dear friends, the Brodricks, to Cadbury World. Yes folks, the Cadbury Factory is a short 2 hour drive from our house. How can we be so lucky, you may be asking. All I can say is that I must have done something right in the pre-existence. For all of you chocolate lovers out there, be jealous. I've eaten more chocolate in the last week than I think I've eaten in my whole life. And this is not just any kind of chocolate. It's not the waxy yucky stuff that is made in the States (sorry if you're a Hershey's fanatic). This is European chocolate. There are some things done here that we just haven't gotten quite right in the States. Chocolate happens to be one of them.
This is my cute family at the factory. Kimball was being picture shy and hiding behind our legs. What a cooperative boy!
Cadbury World is not just a place where you can go and watch chocolate being made, in fact we hardly saw any of that. We first started at a small room that showed hollogram images telling some of the history of the men who came up with Cadbury. Before these men, chocolate was made with powdered milk and these men had the idea to use fresh milk. Their main milk chocolate bar is called Dairy Milk Chocolate.
The picture above shows what we got to do after the little show. We went into this room and got to choose whichever candy we wanted (as shown on the wall in the background). They put that in a cup. Then they had little machines that just poured warm milk chocolate right on top of our candy. I asked if I could order one of those machines for my house, but darn it, they were all out! Let's just say, it was divine! Clark had chocolate covered licorice (which isn't really like our licorice), Kimball had chocolate covered gummies, Sammy just had gummies (party pooper), and I had chocolate covered shortbread, yummm! Personally, I thought mine was the best.
We then took the tour of the factory, which like I said wasn't just a factory. It was almost like a little museum where we learned the history of chocolate. How it's made, yada, yada, yada! We even got to go on a small ride.
Towards the end of the tour they had a small area where you could stand in front of a big white screen with a tiny camera. It took your picture then filled your image up with imaginary chocolate. So it basically made a little chocolate sculpture out of your picture. Then they displayed the chocolate image on a screen for all to see. Above is our chocolate sculpture. If you look close enough you can see Clark on the left, me holding Addi in the Bjorn on the right, and Kimball down towards the bottom. For some reason, Chocolate Sammy blended right in with Clark's chocolate legs.
Cadbury World: one of our funnest trips here in England. Thanks Zac and Vannessa for filling us in on the chocolate love.
Comments
I too think it's like Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Sorry you didn't get to see more of the actual making, but I guess that's a bit top secret. I am very glad you got lots of tasty treats.
I am still laughing at that mega bar. I've seen huge Hershey ones, but I agree chocolate in the states just gross. Though I am not a big chocolate lover. I do LOVE cadbury mini eggs. I could eat an entire bag, but then suffer a massive headache after!
I loved the chocolate family statue. That would be hilarious on the mantle.
Wish I could have joined you on the tour. I loved visiting new places. Too bad the only factory that is really close to us is Maker's Mark Bourbon. Couldn't take any samples there. They also have the Corvette factory down in Bowling Green. We passed it as we drove to Nashville years ago. I doubt we'll drive down there just to check it out, but it's a thought.
Miss you!
I love Sammy's expressions in all the pictures, looks like he was having a good time.
What a great family. I enjoyed catching up this morning on what's going on with you these days. Wow, it's been a long time. Hope to hear from you again!
Bread...another thing Europe is way ahead of the United States. Bread and Chocolate.