Baby Quilt

I've made a few blankets over the years.  I've pieced them together and done what I could to bind them.  Last year for Relief Society we had a quilting class and I was inspired to create my first quilt.  I thought I'd start out easy and just do a strip quilt.  I decided to make a quilt cover for Addi's toddler bed.  I found this great material and pieced it all together.  I was really excited about it.  I paid to have it quilted, and although you can't see it well in the pictures, it looks darling.  It actually didn't take too long to do all of that part, but after it was quilted I had to bind it, and to be honest, I didn't know how.  I eventually put the blanket aside, because by this point Addi had moved to a normal size bed and had totally different colors in her room.  Luckily for us, we are having another little girl, so I thought I should finish the quilt and be done with it.  I got together with some friends and we had a little "project night" where we all brought things we were working on.  Fortunately for me, my friends are quite knowledgable in the sewing department and took me through the binding process step by step.  I had contemplated over the months just taking the quilt to someone else to finish, but I really wanted to make the entire thing by myself.  I finally finished the quilt on Sunday.  What an accomplishment, for me, anyway.  I spent hours on that quilt, not to mention probably $100 (no wonder quilts are so expensive to buy), but it's finished and I love it.  It will be beautiful in the baby's room (whenever I get that all finished.)  Here are a few pics of it.  


 Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea.  The thing I love about it the most are the textures to it.  The solid brown is a striped, fluffy sort of material.  The solid green is a small corduroy material.  The solid pink (my favorite) is a flower-patterned, super soft material that I can't remember the name of.

The quilted part is a flower design, and it goes perfect with the material.

Although Addi doesn't care that the quilt's not for her anymore, I was a little sad I hadn't made one for her.  The good news is that I had enough material left over to make a darling skirt for Addi.  I started it on Sunday after I finished the quilt.  It is turning out so cute.  I'm nearly finished.  I just have to do the elastic, which I don't have, so it will have to wait until I can get to the store.  Pictures of that to come.  

I've really been enjoying sewing these last couple days.  Making Addi's skirt has felt great.  My next project is to re-create "The Miracle Blanket".  I used the Miracle Blanket when Addi was a baby, and it truly is a miracle worker.  I just bought another one, but they're expensive and you can never have too many swaddle blankets for a newborn.  So, I found some extra material I already had, and will get to work on that after I finish the skirt.  I hope this sewing craze continues and I don't get sick of it.  Otherwise, I'll have one more project that needs to get done.

Comments

You are amazing! At 34 weeks I was not making quilts and doing pull ups...ok, I don't ever do any of those things but admire those who can! Great job, it is beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck E. Cheese & Hannah's Arm

Catch Up, Part 2

Family Pictures