Belize, Day 2, Part 1
Friday was our first full day in Belize. The weather was absolutely perfect, and we took full advantage of it. We walked out of our apartment right onto the beach. In the background you can see our "palapa". If you've planned any excursions, the boats will pick you up at your palapa.
We planned to go Scuba Diving at Hol Chan and then snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley.
So, for those of you who don't know, I belong to a gym called Viking Crossfit. Our skill of the month for March was handstand push-ups, so I wanted to get a picture of me doing a handstand on the sunny beach to show to my crossfit friends back home. I think this is a great picture with the sand, the flowers in the corner, and the ocean and palapa in the background.
Andy and Allen from Suya Tours picked us up at our palapa around 9am. Andy was our dive master, and Allen took Shauni on a snorkeling tour of Hol Chan.
Clark and I getting ready to have our first scuba diving experience together. Clark had one ocean dive before this, but this was my first ocean dive. We really wanted to get an underwater camera, but weren't able to before we left. We loved scuba diving at Hol Chan. It was only about 25 feet deep, so it was perfect for my first ocean dive, especially because I panicked when I first got in the water. Once I was down under the water, I was fine. It was amazing to see such beautiful animals in their own environment. I especially loved the sting rays.
After we finished at Hol Chan, we went to Shark Ray Alley to snorkel. I wasn't sure I would get in the water, because there really were sharks there. I think they were Nurse Sharks. By the time we got in the water, the sharks were gone, but there were many other great things to see. I love this picture of Clark, because it shows how clear and amazing the water was.
After snorkeling, we rode to a place where this guy was cleaning out conch shells. They gather them from all around, but then come to this place to clean them out. This guy is hammering a small hole in just the right place to get the mollusk out.
The second guy here is cleaning the mollusk and getting it ready to eat. A few of the guys ate some of it fresh. I think it looked disgusting and I stayed far away from it.
Clark and I at the end of our first adventure in Belize. We had a great time, despite the sunburns.
Comments
second, thanks for you comment on my blog. i had to write about it to remind myself when i get discouraged that it has been worth while to change my habits.
and you look like you are doing great! holy hand stand! what are you, like eighteen? i couldn't even come close to doing that. i'm pretty sure that gym of yours is paying off.
and i feel the same way about coke. i'm afraid to even take a sip of it. because once i start up again...well, i just know how hard it is for me to stop.